Friday, February 23, 2007

The difference of the Chinese New Year between China and Singapore

As a Chinese scholar,this is my first Chinese New Year in Singapore.I find that there is a lot of things here are very different from what we have in China.Let me share these oponions with you.
In China,it's winter now and it's quite colder than Singapore.Especially my hometown Jilin,which is the north east part of China,the temperture there can be even below zero now.Everywhere is snow and really quite white.But in Singapore the weather is very warm, just like our summer.You can only see green instead of white.So the feeling of Chinese New Year to me has changed a lot.
There is also a very different phenomenon between Singapore and China. Now it can be the noisiet period in China.You can find every family play the firecracker everywhere in China now,sometimes you even can not hear the sound of the TV or the telephone because of the noise of the firecrackers.But in Singapore people are not allowed to do the firework,so it's a little quiet here.
There is also a thing that suprise me a lot.I found that the stores here are all nealy closed during Chinese New Year,but in China the stores are all open now because a lot of people need to perchase things during these holiday,so the business is quite prosperous now.
I also visisted a local family on the Chinese New Year's Eve.I was so surprised that the so called "reunion dinner" is just like a normal dinner,five all six people sit arround table and they always eat the steam boat.But in China the reunion dinner is quite ceremonious,more than ten people sit around one table and eat more than ten different dishes together.We always chat with each other loudly and laughed happily because we may haven't seen each other for a long time,so we feel really excited during the dinner.But here is also a bit quieter.
Overall,though the Chinese New Year in Singapore is quite different from that in China,I'm still satisfied with it and love it very much.I hope the school can give us a longer holiday in future during this traditional festival that can help relax ourselves better.And I also hope the Chinese New Year in Singapore can be a bit more noisy in future because a real Chinese New Year should not be too quiet.
At last,wish everybody a splendid new year!

No comments: